Archeology Walks – the Romans and the Etruscans
Italy has always been a dazzling procession of cultures, languages, and traditions. The Etruscans and the Romans were just the most famous marchers in this long parade.
The Italian landscape is still marked by the traces of these fascinating, sometimes mysterious, civilizations. Italy’s renowned archaeological heritage includes impressive roads, stately necropolises, imposing altars, and mystic sites from which ancient oracles once spoke.
Many tourists get no further than the most famous localities. In these places the experience too often recalls that of a theme park. But all across Italy there are extremely rich archaeological itineraries, unknown to mass tourism. Here the traces of ancient civilizations lead the curious traveler through natural and cultural landscapes seemingly untouched by time.
Our archaeology walks take you deep into the territories of long-past civilizations. You’ll have an unparalleled chance to explore Italy’s ancient past. You’ll experience the land just as its earliest inhabitants might have. An archaeology walk is completely different from ordinary sightseeing because you can personally explore and live the territory as ancient communities did.
Understanding the relations between man and environment, as well as the traces left by civilisations through the ages, is the aim of these journeys conceived for curious walkers.
With us you can discover:
- Etruscan Vie Cave (Carved roads), an impressive road network which linked necropolis and settlements
- Via Amerina, an ancient road with an amazing blend of Etruscan and Roman heritage
- Sasso del Predicatore (the Preacher’s Stone), a pyramidal altar used as a place of worship by the Etruscans
- Hermitage of Poggio Conte, a little chapel carved into the stone cliff, with frescos dated XII century
- Corviano Natural Monument with its Etruscan hypogeal houses
- Norchia, an ancient Etruscan town with its striking necropolis
- Etruscan tumulus and necropolis around Siena
This is a chance to immerse yourself into extraordinary civilizations that gave birth to Italy….with our archaeology walks!
what people say about us
Walking in the footsteps of the Etruscans was an fascinating and poignant experience. Marco uncovered a little of their history and their lives for us on a glorious Spring day walking in the beautiful Italian countryside. Josephine UK